I want to share information with students and parents about our upcoming work with students and families. This morning the Wyoming Department of Education shared its latest guidance for district's around the state.
* Wyoming will be waiving the state testing (WyTOPP) for the Spring. ACT/AP testing information will follow after we know more from the College Board; we are hoping that these opportunities will be able to be rescheduled.
* Starting Monday March 30 we will continue classes where we had left off with on online format or in some cases, paper pencil for students in grades K-2. During the initial week (March 30 –April 3) teachers will likely be adjusting and learning as they work in a new mode.
* Staff will use March 23-26 to reach out to students and parents about what to expect next week; we want to maximize student engagement in the learning starting on Monday March 30. Teachers will begin a transition from review, enrichment, and make-up to teaching and supporting priority content and skills.
* The district is unsure, at this point, the duration of this shift in delivery style but must prepare for the possibility of a distance format for the rest of the school year.
* The district's overall goal is to focus on essential learning and standards whenever possible, doing our best to minimize gaps in learning caused by disruption between March 16 and the end of the school year.
Please look for additional information from principals and teachers in the upcoming days. I still think our mantra has to be flexibility and understanding.
Superintendent of Schools
Sweetwater County School District #2